At the holidays, love = food more than any other time of year. We feel obligated to show appreciation by eating all the goodies put in front of us. Most of those goodies are carbohydrates and we know that excess carbs are not good for optimal health. So what to do and still show love?
Here are some tips for getting through the holidays:
1) Help yourself stay in control by eating small, protein-based (fish, chicken, turkey) meals every 3-4 hours. Your blood sugar levels will stay more level resulting in less carbohydrate and sweet cravings.
2) Have a small protein snack or protein shake before going to a party. You will be less likely to gorge on sweets and carbs. Also, your mood and energy will improve.
3) Limit alcohol so that you can stay on top of your eating plan. Alternate one or two glasses of water with each alcoholic one.
4) Eat the healthy choices at the buffet first so you are less hungry when it comes time to consider the less healthy ones.
5) Bring your own healthy potluck dish to a gathering so that you know there is at least one thing to help you maintain your eating plan.
6) Learn to cook the paleo way. You can make desserts and appetizers that are healthy and low carb using nut flours, coconut flour, and flax seed meal. See the following websites for ideas: Elanaspantry.com , everydaypaleo.com.